Some things about Dancing
First I'll simply say that I love dancing a lot.
Sometimes you can have so much to say about something that it is difficult to write just a little bit about it.
This will be choppy, but very passionate.
I think that America needs to dance more.
I think that overweight people want to dance more than society allows them, and this is very frustrating.
But overall, Americans should learn how fun it is to dance. Actually, I think they already know, I just think they ignore it because it is not socially acceptable to dance at certain times.
We need to not let going out to clubs and dancing waltzes and foxtrots and sambas be only for professional dancers and retirement-aged couples. We need to take the courage to try out the dancing classes at our local gyms. If we really do have an overweight problem in this country, I think a trend toward popularizing dancing would help a lot.
Of course then we go back to the point about overweight people not being able to dance. I am not sure what to think. I admit for ballet and even modern dance, I find a leaner body is better to look at. But this only applies to performances. I think society overall and the dancing world needs to give more attention to overweight people. I have found that getting asked to dance can be a looks competition, even in places where people recognize fantastic footwork and improvization. I think society should be made to see that overweight people can dance [we might sweat more and not have the nicer-looking, lean bodies, but we can dance]. I have not really felt it or found a way [if it exists] to portray it, but I also can go a step further and think that with proper performance, an overweight body can portray beauty and much of the same emotion as a leaner frame. But I do not seek to be comfortable with having an overweight body myself, and I cannot deny also having an automatic aversion to SEEING an overweight body when a lean body frame is expected, but I know that there are people who are comfortable with their body size, and I think that the dancing world should accommodate them anyway. Contradicting that, though, leaner bodies are still a preferred trait genetically. But overweight people are a sign of prosperity. Enough on this sidetrack, back to dancing
I would love to point out the recent reality contest show "Dancing with the Stars"'s popularity as proof of my argument that deep down America likes dancing more than it is currently showing it, but I won't - simply because I felt that the winners of that show were chosen more for the comeback story and the sex appeal than their dancing ability. But we saw contestant after contestant on that show admit that it was fun. Which is why it irked me when so many of them were standoffish when asked if they would continue doing it.
And there was another incident in my life previous to this which irked me more. I was at a gym. A dance class at the gym was about to start. I heard one of the gym workers suggest dancing to a woman and the woman started acting shy, saying that she didn't know how to dance and that she didn't want anyone to see her dancing. I think most people know how to dance. I feel there is hardly a dance move I have seen that I haven't done at one time or another; I just simply didn't do it on command or even knowing what I was doing. Because of this, I find it frustrating when people say they cannot dance. And I have heard many complaints from men who hate when girls say this when they ask them if they want to dance. It is NOT a polite way of saying "no". The best way to say "no" is to say "no". But I don't think the incident with the woman at the gym was a matter of her not wanting to.
I do admit that I cannot expect everyone to like dancing. But I think people should look more seriously into dancing in its various forms, and not be so wussy about what you look like as you dance; dancing is and should be about having fun.
Sometimes you can have so much to say about something that it is difficult to write just a little bit about it.
This will be choppy, but very passionate.
I think that America needs to dance more.
I think that overweight people want to dance more than society allows them, and this is very frustrating.
But overall, Americans should learn how fun it is to dance. Actually, I think they already know, I just think they ignore it because it is not socially acceptable to dance at certain times.
We need to not let going out to clubs and dancing waltzes and foxtrots and sambas be only for professional dancers and retirement-aged couples. We need to take the courage to try out the dancing classes at our local gyms. If we really do have an overweight problem in this country, I think a trend toward popularizing dancing would help a lot.
Of course then we go back to the point about overweight people not being able to dance. I am not sure what to think. I admit for ballet and even modern dance, I find a leaner body is better to look at. But this only applies to performances. I think society overall and the dancing world needs to give more attention to overweight people. I have found that getting asked to dance can be a looks competition, even in places where people recognize fantastic footwork and improvization. I think society should be made to see that overweight people can dance [we might sweat more and not have the nicer-looking, lean bodies, but we can dance]. I have not really felt it or found a way [if it exists] to portray it, but I also can go a step further and think that with proper performance, an overweight body can portray beauty and much of the same emotion as a leaner frame. But I do not seek to be comfortable with having an overweight body myself, and I cannot deny also having an automatic aversion to SEEING an overweight body when a lean body frame is expected, but I know that there are people who are comfortable with their body size, and I think that the dancing world should accommodate them anyway. Contradicting that, though, leaner bodies are still a preferred trait genetically. But overweight people are a sign of prosperity. Enough on this sidetrack, back to dancing
I would love to point out the recent reality contest show "Dancing with the Stars"'s popularity as proof of my argument that deep down America likes dancing more than it is currently showing it, but I won't - simply because I felt that the winners of that show were chosen more for the comeback story and the sex appeal than their dancing ability. But we saw contestant after contestant on that show admit that it was fun. Which is why it irked me when so many of them were standoffish when asked if they would continue doing it.
And there was another incident in my life previous to this which irked me more. I was at a gym. A dance class at the gym was about to start. I heard one of the gym workers suggest dancing to a woman and the woman started acting shy, saying that she didn't know how to dance and that she didn't want anyone to see her dancing. I think most people know how to dance. I feel there is hardly a dance move I have seen that I haven't done at one time or another; I just simply didn't do it on command or even knowing what I was doing. Because of this, I find it frustrating when people say they cannot dance. And I have heard many complaints from men who hate when girls say this when they ask them if they want to dance. It is NOT a polite way of saying "no". The best way to say "no" is to say "no". But I don't think the incident with the woman at the gym was a matter of her not wanting to.
I do admit that I cannot expect everyone to like dancing. But I think people should look more seriously into dancing in its various forms, and not be so wussy about what you look like as you dance; dancing is and should be about having fun.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home