this one is bad too
i hate posting when I don't have anyhting to say, but I really should write. Today I started to think about the theme behind the movie "Rudy". There is a lot to talk about in the movie. First there's the theme of how much "heart" Rudy had for playing football even though he did not have the ability. I feel like this about dancing. Although I think my lack of ability is simply by having lack of opportunity to. but anyway, I have to admit that the movie kind of misses the point a little too. Rudy, is, in many ways portrayed as a simple minded character. After he tries to go to Notre Dame he then learns of his obstacles one by one. The movie shows that his determination to overcome the obstacles is fueled by his desire to play football. But he really had to have done amazing things academically to get into Notre Dame. And then he had to work hard again to get involved with the football team. I hate that he's not smart enough to just go through the process of trying out. The coach he worked so hard to impress still didn't see much in him. It was the secondary coach who saw his passion. I see that Rudy had a goal -to play for ND- and he accomplished that goal even if his motive was misplaced as well. His friend who died was amazing, though.
The movie kind of down plays how hard it was for him to get to that point. I think a lot of people think he was just lucky. And I guess you would have to decide how noble of a goal it was. I do think that he should be most noted for how hard he worked.
But I have to tell you about a friend of mine. He is a student at a university, going into accounting. But get this: he hates accounting. He even hates math. Now you might ask why is he studying something he hates? Because he is good at it and it would support a family better. It is a responsible thing to do, I guess, and I think planning on supporting a family is a noble goal, but it floors me that he is planning on spending most of his life working at something that he hates.
But then it hit me. I don't understand how anyone could be good at doing something they hate. But I heard another guy state the same thing tonight. And in the movie "What a Girl Wants", her father is a good politician without wanting to. And also in that movie the girl is a good debutante without wanting to be one. I think it is my frustration with these people that I have finally realized to be grateful for my abilities, for although I feel that I don't have enough, I do love any of them I do have. I love English. And I can do it. It enrages me when I see people who have better grammatical and even writing ability than I but do not have the enjoyment and passion I have for it. I think I see this dilemma often in life. But those with the passion and without the natural talent can work hard and develop the talent. Those are the ones who shine the brightest.
The movie kind of down plays how hard it was for him to get to that point. I think a lot of people think he was just lucky. And I guess you would have to decide how noble of a goal it was. I do think that he should be most noted for how hard he worked.
But I have to tell you about a friend of mine. He is a student at a university, going into accounting. But get this: he hates accounting. He even hates math. Now you might ask why is he studying something he hates? Because he is good at it and it would support a family better. It is a responsible thing to do, I guess, and I think planning on supporting a family is a noble goal, but it floors me that he is planning on spending most of his life working at something that he hates.
But then it hit me. I don't understand how anyone could be good at doing something they hate. But I heard another guy state the same thing tonight. And in the movie "What a Girl Wants", her father is a good politician without wanting to. And also in that movie the girl is a good debutante without wanting to be one. I think it is my frustration with these people that I have finally realized to be grateful for my abilities, for although I feel that I don't have enough, I do love any of them I do have. I love English. And I can do it. It enrages me when I see people who have better grammatical and even writing ability than I but do not have the enjoyment and passion I have for it. I think I see this dilemma often in life. But those with the passion and without the natural talent can work hard and develop the talent. Those are the ones who shine the brightest.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home