it's been a while
sometimes I'm just not in the "blogging" mode and times like this, I am....
August didn't really do too much...we had Salem Days and my father's birthday on Aug 8th. It is rather interesting becuase you have to walk down to the pond 2 hours early to have a seat to see the fireworks. I was a little annoyed this year because there was a guy selling neon-lit things, but some of them were constantly flashing and they were the multi-brightl-colored led light ones. It sort of gave me a headache. And then someone started smoking nearby. Where there's kids? I was quite annoyed by that. I have a tendency to let my feelings be known, however...I need to work on that and have more patience with people. The fireworks were quite nice and so close and loud, it was fascinating. My dad got a really huge outdoor thermometer, about the size of a shovel.
Work was kind a slow, but I got a few hours every other day or so. I really was working hard at not going to the grocery store and making our $200 worth of groceries we had bought for the month last. I now think we eat a little more than that; I used up a lot of my reserves to make it work. I think I made macaroni salad about 10 times this month. That's right...10 times. And that is not counting how many times we ate it.
One kind of small incident...We have been working at getting Nathan's creative writing published onto the internet so others who perhaps cannot read his handwriting can read it, and we went to look for his most recent works of fiction and could not find them. We still have no idea where they are, and are quite baffelled that they were not kept in a prominent place that they could be easily found. We did, however, find some earlier drafts of the stories, so hopefully he will be able to put those in.
Back to the food...as you can see from the macaroni salad, I had to get pretty creative. It was neat to see how many actual decent meals I could work up as we dwindled down in supplies.
So one day when I was not having to work, I decided we would go to Jumping Jacks, a local jumping entertainment establishment in Utah County because we had a coupon for going there. Saving money is always fun. Well it should be called the "climbing up inflatables and a little jumping" jacks because that was what it was. I could not climb the inflatables, so I jumped. It is amazing how fun that is. I say there is jumping in heaven, for sure. This started my body on a "oh, so you do want to get physical exercise" kick, and I have stayed pretty active most of the days since. I swam in Salem Pond, which was nice, because I like colder water, but it has perhaps too many ducks in it to really enjoy the moment. But it was free, which was what I was going for.
We had some good news this month. Well, maybe...let me explain. Nathan got real gung-ho about teaching piano lessons, so he posted a listing on craigslist.org. He soon recieved a couple replies to that. One of these had claimed to be a doctor in Scotland, wanting his son to take piano lessons for a month while on vacation here. Things recently have taken many "red flag" "might (if not most)-likely-be-a-scam" turns, so I'm not sure about the validity of this. We are being extra cautious, and so far are waiting for an update about a recent mixup about a check being sent to us. Anyway, there was also another response a week or so ago.
Well, maybe this isn't good news.
But there is really SOME really good news aside from this. We had a meeting recently with a new counselor who was taking over Nathan's DVR case because his old counselor was being promoted. We went to the meeting and were going to discuss switching to the Provo office and the supervisor there said he could refer Nathan to a "Right to Work" program where he will be working with an individual withing the Division of Workforce Services who will be working with employers to get jobs for disabled people and will work with Nathan to assess and use skills he has. (And hopefully get training for skills he does not have). I am elated, although this was a week ago, and we have not heard anything more yet. But we saw them start the paperwork, so it should be a sure thing. The supervisor said something about finally recieving funding from the "Stimulus" as to why they could not do this before. Time will tell.
I took my camera to get it repaired (it appears I was a little too eager taking pictures of the horseshoe throwing contest), so that is why there are no pictures. It may be another few weeks yet. I may try another disposable camera, but I felt those pictures did not turn out very well, so I will see.
August didn't really do too much...we had Salem Days and my father's birthday on Aug 8th. It is rather interesting becuase you have to walk down to the pond 2 hours early to have a seat to see the fireworks. I was a little annoyed this year because there was a guy selling neon-lit things, but some of them were constantly flashing and they were the multi-brightl-colored led light ones. It sort of gave me a headache. And then someone started smoking nearby. Where there's kids? I was quite annoyed by that. I have a tendency to let my feelings be known, however...I need to work on that and have more patience with people. The fireworks were quite nice and so close and loud, it was fascinating. My dad got a really huge outdoor thermometer, about the size of a shovel.
Work was kind a slow, but I got a few hours every other day or so. I really was working hard at not going to the grocery store and making our $200 worth of groceries we had bought for the month last. I now think we eat a little more than that; I used up a lot of my reserves to make it work. I think I made macaroni salad about 10 times this month. That's right...10 times. And that is not counting how many times we ate it.
One kind of small incident...We have been working at getting Nathan's creative writing published onto the internet so others who perhaps cannot read his handwriting can read it, and we went to look for his most recent works of fiction and could not find them. We still have no idea where they are, and are quite baffelled that they were not kept in a prominent place that they could be easily found. We did, however, find some earlier drafts of the stories, so hopefully he will be able to put those in.
Back to the food...as you can see from the macaroni salad, I had to get pretty creative. It was neat to see how many actual decent meals I could work up as we dwindled down in supplies.
So one day when I was not having to work, I decided we would go to Jumping Jacks, a local jumping entertainment establishment in Utah County because we had a coupon for going there. Saving money is always fun. Well it should be called the "climbing up inflatables and a little jumping" jacks because that was what it was. I could not climb the inflatables, so I jumped. It is amazing how fun that is. I say there is jumping in heaven, for sure. This started my body on a "oh, so you do want to get physical exercise" kick, and I have stayed pretty active most of the days since. I swam in Salem Pond, which was nice, because I like colder water, but it has perhaps too many ducks in it to really enjoy the moment. But it was free, which was what I was going for.
We had some good news this month. Well, maybe...let me explain. Nathan got real gung-ho about teaching piano lessons, so he posted a listing on craigslist.org. He soon recieved a couple replies to that. One of these had claimed to be a doctor in Scotland, wanting his son to take piano lessons for a month while on vacation here. Things recently have taken many "red flag" "might (if not most)-likely-be-a-scam" turns, so I'm not sure about the validity of this. We are being extra cautious, and so far are waiting for an update about a recent mixup about a check being sent to us. Anyway, there was also another response a week or so ago.
Well, maybe this isn't good news.
But there is really SOME really good news aside from this. We had a meeting recently with a new counselor who was taking over Nathan's DVR case because his old counselor was being promoted. We went to the meeting and were going to discuss switching to the Provo office and the supervisor there said he could refer Nathan to a "Right to Work" program where he will be working with an individual withing the Division of Workforce Services who will be working with employers to get jobs for disabled people and will work with Nathan to assess and use skills he has. (And hopefully get training for skills he does not have). I am elated, although this was a week ago, and we have not heard anything more yet. But we saw them start the paperwork, so it should be a sure thing. The supervisor said something about finally recieving funding from the "Stimulus" as to why they could not do this before. Time will tell.
I took my camera to get it repaired (it appears I was a little too eager taking pictures of the horseshoe throwing contest), so that is why there are no pictures. It may be another few weeks yet. I may try another disposable camera, but I felt those pictures did not turn out very well, so I will see.


1 Comments:
I haven't checked blogs much over the past few months, so enjoyed so much reading your update! Hope you are having a good day - it was nice to see you for a few minutes Friday night!
Post a Comment
<< Home